Dylan seemed to be feeling better today. He was awake for awhile in the afternoon and played with his toys. We spread out a down duvet on the living room floor and he had a ball. I tried something new today to relieve his itching and it appears to work…or at least he likes it. A couple days ago I noticed a rash (something different from the scabies) on his forehead, through his eyebrows, and down onto his nose. He was going nuts rubbing on his face, and it seemed to really bother him just after he finished a bottle. I thought it may have been an allergic reaction to something we’ve used or something new in his environment, but after comparing notes with another mom here in Vietnam who just treated her baby for scabies, I discovered that it is a common side-effect or reaction to the scabies cream we applied the day we received Dylan. I guess it irritates the skin (especially on the face) as it works its way out. Her son had the exact same rash and they had consulted their hotel doctor. Anyway, I noticed that Dylan’s itching is more intense when he gets too warm, so while feeding him, I laid a cool washcloth across his forehead. He liked it. I could feel his little body relax, and the digging at the face stopped. It doesn’t completely relieve him, but it certainly helps. Another thing I also learned as we’re getting to know him and his habits—he has a strong gag-reflex. He has thrown up his formula and medication several times. I was concerned that something was wrong, but then noticed that he will start coughing, gag, and then up it comes. I’m assuming it’s partially voluntary or intentional on his part. So, when I hear the cough, I quickly try to distract him with a song, some noises, or a gesture and I can usually fend off the gag…and, of course, the mess!
We met with our coordinator, Anna, this morning to fill out Dylan’s Visa application. She will submit the application tomorrow, and we have an appointment at the Embassy on Wednesday. She expects that the Visa will be issued by Thursday afternoon and that we will be free to leave as early as Thursday evening. I contacted our travel agent to see about getting an earlier flight out. We are enjoying our time here, but want to get back home and get Dylan under the care of a doctor. It’s a bit challenging being half-way across the world with a sick baby. And we miss our sweet Ryleigh Ming!!!
This evening we went to dinner with another couple who just received their 9-month-old son from the Vinh Long orphanage. We took a taxi to the “Old Quarter” here in Hanoi and had dinner had a beautiful two-story French/Vietnamese restaurant called the “Green Tangerine.” The food was fabulous, but the boys were a bit restless—we had so much to talk about and they were both ready for bed. We plan to go back to the “Old Quarter” tomorrow to check out the shops and perhaps visit the water puppet theatre. There is so much to see!

No comments:
Post a Comment